Monday, October 26, 2009

HW 11

For my digital experiment Idecided to do a digital fast followed by an all out digital blitz. I split the time up for half a day non digital and half a day digital blitz (not the same day). I found the experiment to be much more challenging then I thought. At first I thought that the non digital half day might just be the most physically rewarding day of my entire life. I found that to completley and disheartiningly inaccurate. I started the digital free time well I went to the gym worked out for a good hour and a half felt refreshed and ready to go until 2 pm the same way. After I got home I was struck by this overwhelming feeling of bordem and agitation. For a second I thought to myself "fuck the experiment i'll jus b.s. the whole thing" but then I decided no Im going to stick with it and see if I can't make this something Ill repeat in the future. After glazing over the New York Times I decided to go outside and keep myself active. But with nothing else to do and the day becoming a bit of drag and no cell phone to call people or computer to Aim people I figured I would just go and get some food. Now this is the part where everything turned horribly wrong. Because I had worked out earlier in the day I figured I would go get some fast food to completley ruin everything that I had done a few hours earlier. After eating with nothing to do at home I left the food establishment and continued on over to the park. With still nothing to do I decided to just keep on destroying myself by chain smoking for about 45 minnutes. Still unable to find activity I went home and was able to sleep away the rest of digital free blues.
The second part of my experiment was not only easier but healthier as well. I was able to keep myself entertained and because of the constant barrage of internet and video game activity i was able to keep myself from emerging in fast food and tabacco. Because I had to keep going for lunch instead of walking the extra two blocks to the fast food place I walked only three blocks to the local falafel place Habbibs. Finally disproving the myth that your healthier outside then in particularly in the city that never sleeps!

1 comment:

  1. To Will,
    You really have some great ideas, just starting off with homework 13 i think you really prove a great point by showing us how feed is meant to show us who we are and by doing that causing us to change, because if we saw who we really were we wouldn't be very happy, than in 12 you prove a great point of how younger generations are frowned upon but older generations are respected for the things they did. Like what we are doing is disgraceful and stubborn or arrogant, we are wasting our lives and loosing our individuality. But in one or two generations we will be heroes for what we did and people will remember us for all the great things we did. But until then we are the punks. Then we get to the crown jewel. Number 13 is a work of art. You gave us the full truth. As uncensored as it may be you showed us how teenagers live and how different levels of anti social behavior and the effect it plays. How being detached from technology takes away contacting friends and brings on solitude. Then gorging yourself in technology is the exact same thing. If you don't leave the house so you can play video games then nothing has changed. These ideas could really be put to use on your art project with maybe a deeper study of the pysche of the teenage mind. Some of the biggest spots for improvement is the depth of your work. You have great ideas but you don't explain them. Its like the rough draft, you need to complete your work. Just take the time and finish your thoughts before moving on. But your ideas really do encourage some thought into who we are as people. And how the little things we do have a spiderweb effect. So thanks for your thoughts will
    From,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete